Well, I took a couple days off of blogging to re-center myself, and find out how much I rely on this little pad of the world to stay motivated towards my weight loss. It turns out, I literally miss my blog when I’m gone, so I’m back this morning and feeling, well like I got hit by a truck, but in a good way. Here’s a recap of the last two days:
Monday I go to work, and have my “Physical Assessment” done at the gym we recently joined. My numbers fall into the “pitiful” category. I’m 28 years old, and all my numbers correlated to people in their 30’s and 40’s. So I’m 28 on the outside, and somewhere between 35 and 45 on the inside, how sad is that?!? Here is what my assessment consisted of:
- V-sit (you know, from the days of elementary school and the Presidential Fitness Test) = 16.9″ at the max, this puts me squarely 3″ below where I SHOULD be able to get.
- Push-ups (girlie style on my knees) = 20 (before my arms felt like jell-o) and that puts me comfortably in my “average” range
- Grip test Lefty = 80 pounds and that puts my left hand above average, yay!
- Grip test Righty = 85 pounds and that makes my right hand normal, not so yay, but not “yuck” either.
- Vo2 Max = 31.2ml/kl/min = this is bad, it means my lungs have to work super hard to get oxygen to my heart. I did notice that after taking my inhaler (yes I have sports induced asthma) that I didn’t huff and puff nearly as much and working out was much more enjoyable. This level is in the less than 10th percentile of my age group, meaning 90% of the 20-29 year olds can breath better than me while working out, yikes!
- Resting heart rate = 94 BPM can you imagine the fact that my heart rate, RESTING is almost 100 beats per minute? That’s like a 1950’s rock song!
So I did my assessment, then yesterday and today my chest is STILL sore, thank you push-ups. Last night I walked the treadmill for 25 minutes and was super impressed with myself. I maintained my 165 bpm heart rate, which is the ideal range for weight loss and cardio health the whole time, and was doing a 2.5 incline and 3.6 mph for almost the whole time, otherwise I was running intervals of 6mph for 1 minute and then back down to 3.3 mph for 1 min 30 seconds.
We’re going to the gym again tonight, my goal is to make it the full 30 minutes on the treadmill and sneak in 15 minutes of weight training for my core and legs, we’ll see how it goes!